return to main page

Omeo Historical Society, Short Tour of the park

several images to load, thanks for waiting

These two images show
parts of the interior of
the museum housed in
the "old" courthouse
built in 1861,
(see main page)

Be sure to visit the original log gaol, no
replicas here, this is how it was on
the most lawless goldfield in Australia.

An old truck and a steam engine or
two for the machinery lovers.

A major project for the society is the
full restoration of the
Zulu Creek
water wheel driving a 5 head stamper, (rock crusher) along with the
landscaping of Commisioners Gully
in which it stands within the
Historic Park.

Another image of the interior
ofthe "new" couthouse
(see main page) Completed
in 1893 and designed by A.J.McDonald, a young
architect with the public
works department whose
works have become important
in Australian architectural history.

The far building is the stables, with the log
gaol in the middle.
Along with the two courthouses and police house
these make up the bulk of the Historic Park,
only original Justice precinct
still intact in Australia.

The building in the foreground is the original
wash house brought in from Penderscourt at
Benambra which was the family homestead for
the Pendergast family who figure so prominently
in the regions history.

The new court at front and old at rear (to left) at about the time of the
new court opening(1893) Police residence at rear right.
return to home page
links page
gallery page
region index