THE NEWSHEET STORY
Excerpt from "Time to Remember" by Keith McD Fairweather
The first newsheet in the Shire of Omeo was printed at Swifts Creek. A Typed
sheet at the Shire office, dated
22/12 /1928, and addressed to Messrs. Carmichael and Co., 115 Pitt St Sydney, states that the newsheet, which never exceeded one page, and was only published when there was news to print, was called " The Miners Gazette."
It ceased publication when " The North Gippsland Mountaineer and Swifts Creek and Wombat Reporter" was produced in Omeo in December of 1873, by Andrew Sanders. In 1876, it became the " Echoes from the Mountains."
More to be added by the hard working Newsheet editor!