cassilis home page
The Cassilis Recreation Reserve was created in
1896 when the area was experiencing a gold mining boom.
Actually called the Jirnkee Recreation Reserve (parish of Jirnkee) it served the areas later called Tongio West and Cassilis.
|This image was taken in 1897 on November
8th and was titled
"Long Gully Sports Day". With the Reserve being declared in October 1896
this must have been one of the first events held. At this time the area
was called Long Gully. It is about 17kms long and includes the town of
Swifts Creek at its mouth but at this time seems to have been focused on
Cassilis and Tongio West.
Swifts Creek at that time was very small and did not have its own Recreation Reserve. After the gold boom ended in about 1915 Cassilis and Tongio West declined to become ghost towns while Swifts Creek grew.
This image demonstrates the optimism of the time.
|After a long decline, 1994 saw local
residents become active at the Reserve. Markets, a stage and fencing
projects saw a transformation.
Day visits are encouraged, the historic Cassilis
Cemetery is adjacent and has seen a parallel transformation over the
same period and involving the same local volunteers.
|April 2006 has seen new toilets
Left, the champagne opening of the new toilets.
Other projects to provide shelter and picnic facilities have been begun or are coming soon.
|The toilets at the early stages.|